Graduation and Commencement
We plan to hold an in-person Spring 2023 Commencement at 10 am on Saturday, May 6 at MetraPark.
Visit the commencement webpage for more info.
Applying for Graduation
Graduation Application Due Dates
Fall Semester 2023
March 24, 2023
Summer Semester 2023 (not attending ceremony)
March 24, 2023
Spring Semester 2024
November 17, 2023
Summer Semester 2024 (attending ceremony)
November 17, 2023
Please Note: If you are planning to graduate at the end of this Spring semester (May 2023), graduation applications were due last November. If you did not apply to graduate and are planning to finish in May, please submit paperwork to the Registrar's Office immediately (there is a $25 late fee per application if submitted after 5:00pm on February 7, 2023 in addition to the $50 application fee).
Graduation Application Instructions
Complete Application for Graduation Instructions
- Type or hand write information required on appropriate graduation forms (links below).
- If you are majoring in more than one subject, please also submit “Application for Second Major”
- If you are earning a minor, or a minor is required for your degree program, please also submit “Application for a Minor”
- If you intend to earn two separate degrees, please submit one Application for Graduation for each degree you intend to earn upon graduation.
- Set up a meeting (well in advance) with your faculty advisor(s) to meet and finalize your Application for Graduation, Second Major or Minor (as applicable). Print off a copy of your DegreeWorks audit indicating all complete and/or in-progress coursework.
- Go to the Business Office cashier or call 406-657-1709 to pay the graduation application fee – non-refundable $50.00 (per degree).
- Bring Application for Degree, Second Major (if applicable), Minor (if applicable), copy of DegreeWorks audit and receipt from Business Office to the Registrar's office no later than the end of the 10th week of the semester PRIOR to the semester of completion.
- Application for Graduation, Certificate or Associate Degree (printable)
- Application for Graduation, Certificate or Associate Degree (fillable)
- Application for Graduation, Baccalaureate Degree (printable)
- Application for Graduation, Baccalaureate Degree (fillable)
- Application for Graduation, Master’s Degree (printable)
- Application for Graduation, Master's Degree (fillable)
- Application for Graduation, Second Major (printable)
- Application for Graduation, Second Major (fillable)
- Application for Graduation, Minor (printable)
- Application for Graduation, Minor (fillable)
NOTE: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 software in order to open these files.
MSU Billings Commencement Procedures
Please to go to the Campus Store website, click on the GRADS tab and select GRADUATION REGALIA. Follow the ordering instructions on the Oak Hall web site. Your gown will be sent directly to you. For more information call the Campus Store at 1-800-201-3794.
You will receive a name card when you pick up your cap and gown that you must prepare and hand to the “Reader of Names” on the stage. Please print your name clearly. There will be extra cards available at the information table at MetraPark lower level, if needed.
Plan to arrive at Metra Park (Arena) by 9:00 am, to line up for the processional. Staff will be available to help find your College and place in line. The march will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, May 6, 2023, at MetraPark (Arena).
Tickets are not required for Commencement for you or your guests. There is no limit to the number of guests who may attend in your honor.
Stand for the National Anthem, the men will remove their caps.
When the Dean of your respective college confers your degree, all graduates of that particular college will stand. When called forward to receive your diploma, the first row will remain standing. All others will be seated until the row coordinator indicates when you should proceed to the stage area.
Please Note These Additional Details
Degree Conferral and Recording Timeline
Degrees are conferred three times per year at the official end of the term as determined by the Academic Calendar – April/May; August; December. The review of applications for degree posting is manual and takes multiple weeks at the end of each term. If you have a strict timeline for licensure or employment, please contact the Registrar’s Office (406-657-2158) in advance.
NOTE: For summer degrees, due to multiple course end dates, degrees are still conferred once at the official end of the term and will reflect the August end of term date as the graduation date. Please be advised that even if you complete courses sooner, degrees are conferred after final grading at the end of the term. Please appropriately notify licensing agencies and employers.
Diplomas will be mailed at the end of the next semester following your degree completion. You will receive only a diploma cover during the Commencement Exercise.
Due to construction at Metra Park, parking is available through the Bench Blvd entrance to the upper lot for the May 6, 2023, Commencement ceremony. The lower lot is unavailable due to construction and the fairgrounds’ parking will be in use for other events. Limited shuttle service will be available for the guests who need it. Suggest to relatives and friends that they allow enough time to park, walk to Metra Park and be seated by 9:45 a.m. There are a limited number of handicap accessible parking spaces available directly in front of the main entrance to Metra Park.
Lifetouch is on site to photograph each graduate receiving a diploma and exiting the stage.
New in 2023, Lifetouch has adopted PhotoDay as their image platform for ordering.
Parents and/or students have the option to text the Picture Day Code to PhotoDay:
- Text 420548GY23 to 90738
- To opt in before picture day, buy credits with PhotoDay.
You will receive a link that invites you to purchase an Advance Pay credit. Should you select that option (which is not required) you will receive a text message verifying your selection and you will be notified when the images are ready for purchase.
You can also choose not to opt into AdvancePay, and the photos will still be available for purchase using the same link when posted to PhotoDay. Parents and/or students will have the option of viewing ALL photos, searching by "tags" or FaceFind.
Lifetouch is providing this as a service - graduates are under no obligation to purchase photos.
Should family members wish to take pictures, they may do so during or after Commencement but are not permitted on the floor with the graduates during the ceremony.
Tradition indicates that the tassel is worn on the left side of the mortar board (cap) after degree has been conferred.
Bachelor degrees, Associate degrees in College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Health Professions and Science: blue and gold tassels.
All colleges Master Degrees gold tassels.
City College at MSU Billings blue and white tassels.
Gold Honor Cords Distinguishing GRADUATING SENIORS with a grade point average of 4.00, signifying “Summa Cum Laude.”
Gold and Silver Honor Cords Distinguishing GRADUATING SENIORS with a grade point average between 3.75 and 3.99, signifying “Magna Cum Laude.”
Silver Honor Cords Distinguishing GRADUATING SENIORS with a grade point average between 3.50 and 3.74, signifying “Cum Laude.”
Blue and White Honor Cords Distinguishing two year degrees and certificates with a grade point average between 3.50 and 3.74 (Honors), 3.75 to 4.00 (High Honors).
Questions? Send e-mail to: Registrar