Applying For Aid
Applying For Aid using the Montana State University Billings (MSUB) Financial Aid Process
Apply for Admission
Usual Time Frame: Anytime
- The FAFSA must be filed annually, and becomes available for the upcoming academic year (Fall/Spring) in December.
- Students are encouraged to apply sooner than later to ensure their financial aid package is processed before school starts, applications will be subject to available funds.
FAFSA sent electronically to the colleges listed by the student
- MSUB's school code: 002530
Usual Time Frame: 2 weeks
Apply for scholarships
Usual Time Frame: Feb 1 – priority date
MSUB requests additional information or documents needed to review file:
- Submit requested documentation as soon as possible
Usual Time Frame: 1-2 weeks
File goes to REVIEW status and financial aid counselor determines eligibility.
- Longer time frames may occur for documents submitted during peak times (July, August & September)
Usual Time Frame: 2-4 weeks
Award notice postcard sent to student at mailing address in Banner.
Usual Time Frame: 1-6 days
NOTE: The time estimates listed above require that the school receive a VALID Student Aid Report (SAR). If the school receives a EJECTED SAR, the student is responsible for resolving any omissions or errors, usually missing signatures. The college does not know which students are selected for verification until we receive a valid SAR. At that point we will send the student a letter asking for the necessary verification materials that could include: verification worksheets along with documentation, tax return transcripts and/or W2s. If we receive unsigned worksheets or if there are discrepancies the review process can extend for weeks longer than the time estimates listed above.