Grant is money to help a student pay for college or career school. A grant is a form of financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances.

Federal Pell Grant

 A Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a Bachelor or professional degree. It is available to students attending full or part time. The award amount is determined by the student’s EFC, which is calculated by completing a FAFSA.

The Pell Grant amount a student receives can change depending upon the number of credits a student is enrolled in.

  • 12+ credits  = Full-time (100%)
  • 9-11 credits = Three-quarter time (75%)
  • 6-8 credits   = Half-time (50%)
  • 1-5 credits   = Less than half-time (25%)

The maximum Federal Pell Grant amount for each academic year may vary and is determined by federal funding and the Department of Education. There is no priority funding deadline to apply for this grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A Federal Supplemental Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need, determined by completing FAFSA, and who have not earned a Bachelor or professional degree.

The amount received varies depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds at your school.

To maintain the FSEOG, enrollment must remain as an undergraduate student and must not have previously earned a bachelor’s degree. It is determined by completing the FAFSA on an annual basis.

State & Institutional Grant

To qualify for one of the state or institutional grants, a student must be a Montana resident, be eligible for financial aid, and be an undergraduate who has not earned their first bachelor’s degree. Enrollment in at least six credits is required for most state grants. Eligibility for these funds is determined by using the information reported in the FAFSA.