Veterans Enrollment Timeline

Veterans' Benefits

To activate your VA Educational Benefits contact:

Dawn Githens
College of Education 106
(406) 657-2968

MSU Billings recommends all Service members speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor prior to enrolling.  Many ESOs can assist with obtaining the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

For assistance on the posting of your VA Educational benefits please contact the Business Services office in McMullen Hall.

Renee Haefer at (406) 657-1707 or
McMullen Ground Level West

For more detailed information about your benefits, please refer to

Veterans' Upward Bound / TRIO

Veterans' Upward Bound is a Department of Education program designed to help military veterans refresh their academic skills so that they can successfully complete postsecondary education. Services are free to eligible veterans.

(406) 657-2075
Cisel Hall 104

Student Veteran Organization

There are many veterans on campus, and they face similar concerns and challenges as they navigate through the many steps of enrolling in and attending college. We want to assist with the environment change and let them know that we are a community.


The MSU Billings Army ROTC Yellowjacket Company challenges you to enroll in the most exciting course on campus. We attract and train top quality student-athlete-leaders from high schools and on-campus.

(406) 247-5733
McMullen 4th Floor

For more information, visit the MSUB Army ROTC website.


McMullen Hall, First Floor West - University Campus
Tech Building, Jacket Student Central - City College Campus
We encourage all new, transfer, and returning students to visit us and meet with an academic advisor. Our goal is to assist you in designing an academic plan which enables you to complete your program requirements as efficiently as possible.

*Student must apply for admission and have been accepted before scheduling an appointment and meeting with an advisor.
University 657-2240

City College 247-3019

Financial Aid

Veteran Tuition Waiver Application

You can also apply for Federal Financial Aid online. The school code for MSU Billings is 002530. You can also apply for MSUB scholarships online.

(406) 657-2188
Financial Aid Website
McMullen First Floor East

Disability Support Services

If you have a documented physical or learning disability and need accommodations in the classroom or on campus please contact our Disability Support Services Office.

Call Trudy Carey at (406) 657-2283 or email

Veterans Resources Guide

Military and Veterans Success Center

The Military and Veterans Success Center on the university campus is on the first floor of the College of Education in room 106 weekdays from 8:00 AM to 5:00 pm for military affiliated students to use to relax, watch TV, play x-box, eat, meet, study, etc.

There is also a Veteran Lounge on the City College campus on the 1st floor of the Tech Building.

Call Dawn Githens at 406-657-2968 or e-mail

Registrar's Office

The University accepts many forms of Professional Military Education (non-academic experience and training) that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) as academic credit. To transfer credits review the Military Transcript Evaluation Policy and complete a Transcript Request.

Contact Registrar's Office: 406-657-2158

Student Support Services

Student Support Services (SSS)/TRIO is a Federally funded TRIO program. SSS/TRIO provides support for students seeking academic development, and assists students with basic college requirements by motivating students toward successful completion of their college careers.

(406) 657-2162 
Library, Room 141

Online Degrees/Programs

Maybe you are place bound or maybe the idea of taking a class whenever you want appeals to you. No Problem. We have more than 240 classes and over 25 degree programs you can enroll in online. In fact, MSU Billings is Montana’s leader in online higher education ... Check out MSUB Online.

State of Montana Veterans Affairs Division

Printer-Friendly Version of MSUB Services for Veterans (PDF)

Additional Information

Military Absence/Leave Policy

Montana State University Billings works with individual student situations related to military orders, deployment, and related service.

Registrar, Student accounts, and faculty work together, based on the timing of the orders, to do what is in the best interest of the individual student with regard to academic and financial implications.

Copies of orders are required documentation. Contact the Admissions & Records Office for more information.

U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs Links

The Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of education benefit programs.

Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program, including the:

The Post-9/11 GI-Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Changes to the Post-9/11 GI Bill® are now available.

To see what the Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay eligible individuals, visit

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill® to dependents.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® pamphlet

Source: United States Department of Veterans Affairs

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at