Medical Coding & Insurance Billing Programs
We have two options to meet your needs; a Certificate of Applied Science in Medical Coding and an Associate of Applied Science in Medical Coding & Insurance Billing Specialist:
Medical Coding - Certificate of Applied Science
Ready to take your medical coding career to the next level? Our Medical Coding Certificate of Applied Science will prepare you to become a nationally certified professional medical coder. This program not only prepares you with the necessary pre-requisites to start or enhance your journey as a professional medical coder, but our core medical coding classes are in partnership with the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), which means that our students receive the same education and training as those who receive certified professional coder training directly through the AAPC.
- The core beginning and advanced medical coding courses offer the AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) curriculum that is specifically aligned to the AAPC CPC® credentialing exam.
- As educational partners with the AAPC, our medical coding faculty are AAPC – Approved Certified instructors that are dedicated to the success of our students.
- Upon completion of the required medical coding courses, students will be able to sit for the national American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) exam.
- Plus, our Medical Coding Certificate of Applied Science Program is fully stackable within the Medical Coding and Insurance Billing Specialist Associate Degree Program so students can easily continue their education in medical billing.
Medical Coding and Insurance Billing Specialist - Associate of Applied Science Degree
Ready to expand your skills and advance your career in healthcare? If you are just starting out, looking for a career change, or currently working in the healthcare industry, our Medical Coding and Insurance Billing Specialist Associate Degree Program is a great investment in your future. In the business side of healthcare, medical coding and insurance billing go hand in hand. Since our Medical Coding Certificate education is built into the associate degree, you will not only be preparing to become a nationally certified professional medical coder but also receive
- education in business leadership, medical law & ethics, accounting, and the entire revenue cycle including medical insurance billing fundamentals, reimbursement methodologies, transmitting claims, and the denials/appeal process.
Already AAPC CPC® certified but looking to expand on your medical billing knowledge? You may receive credit toward core medical coding courses and fulfill some of the requirements for this degree option. Our comprehensive program will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to become an AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) and Medical Billing Specialist, expanding your career opportunities in both the medical coding and insurance billing healthcare industry. Enroll today and take the first step towards a rewarding career in healthcare!
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Employment Projections; MT Dept. of Labor and Industry, Research and Analysis Bureau
Medical Coding & Insurance Billing graduates can find employment with:
- Physician’s offices
- Insurance companies
- Independent medical billing company
- Government agencies
- DME providers
Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Detail-oriented, focusing on the task at hand
- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents
- Talking to others to convey information effectively
- Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
ADMISSION TO CITY COLLEGE
- First-time college students must have high school diplomas from an accredited high school, a GED/HiSET, or passed the MSUB Readiness Exam offered through our university.
- Transfer students will need to submit records from all regionally accredited institutions.
These program are offered fully online (please note that some of the related courses can be taken on campus or online)
Montana State University Billings is accredited by the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Upon completion of the program the students will be able to sit for the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam. Graduates will fill a growing need in healthcare, now and in the future.