Process Plant Technology
Our Process Plant Technology program is changing from a spring start program to a fall start program. Contact Jacket Student Central at 406-247-3007 for more information.
Electrical power generation facilities
Water and waste water treatment plants
Mineral refining plants
Many other processing plants
Degree & Certificate Options
Montana has numerous petroleum refineries and chemical processing industries. With the support of the local/regional processing plants the City College developed and currently offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in this area.
Plan of Study
Prior to starting the Process Plant core classes, students must prove their math and
English skills. This can be done through approved college transfer credits, appropriate
scores on the Compass placement exam or completing refresher classes.
- Technical, mechanical and safety systems utilized in oil, chemical and power processing plants. Mechanics of fluids, hydrocarbons, gases, heat, and chemistry as it pertains to processing plants
- Fundamentals necessary for an in-depth look at the distillation processheat and thermodynamics, as well as the chemical bonds
- organic chemistry
- periodic table
- hydrocarbon concepts
- Understand the equipment necessary for the operation of a process/refining plant.
- pumps, compressors, valves, heat exchangers, distillation and cooling towers
- refining processes, taking an in-depth look at each process
- Fluid Catalytic Cracking, Alkylation, Catalytic Reforming, Desulfurization, Crude/Vacuum Systems, Amine, Coking, and Hydro treating
- History behind certain environmental policies, the creation of OSHA, and key environmental issues
- Critical thinking, trouble shooting
- mechanical aptitude
- Manual dexterity
- Math and spatial skills
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- Reading and communication skills
|Job Outlook and Pay Info
|Median Wage (MT)*||$62,890.00|
|Median Wage (US)*||$67,400.00|
|Average entry-level wage, COT grads (2014-2017)||$74,828.00|
Expected growth (MT)* (projection through 2024)
|Expected growth (US)* (projection through 2026)||3%|
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Employment Projections; MT Dept. of Labor and Industry, Research and Analysis Bureau