Computer Systems Technology and Cyber Security
Information technology positions in corporate, industrial, educational or government sectors
Degree & Certificate Options
City College currently offers a two-year Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Systems Technology and an Associate of Science Plan of study in Networking. Please speak to an advisor to help determine which program will help you meet your goals.
Plan of Study
Before a student can be accepted into the Computer Systems Technology AAS degree program, competency in mathematics and computers must be demonstrated. This may be done by:
- Passing the Math Placement Test
- Transfer of appropriate credits
- Current ACT/SAT scores in the required range
- Taking the necessary prerequisite English, math, and/or computer classes identified in the catalog
- Technicians provide assistance and training to system users as well as administer the computer network.
- Students learn techniques to investigate and resolve computer problems, both on a client computer and across an entire network.
- Answer clients' inquiries concerning the use of computer hardware and software.
- Troubleshoot and support corporate networks.
- Networking, routing (Cisco Levels 1-8).
- Applications (Microsoft Office).
- Operating Systems (Windows Server).
- Troubleshoot communications and connectivity issues.
- Approximately 40% of the classes contain hands-on training to provide the student with real-world experience.
- Prepare to take industry certification tests such as CCNA, CCNP, MCP, and MCSE.
- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events)
- The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations)
- The ability to see things in the mind's eye and understand a system's inner workings
Job Outlook and Pay Info
Expected growth (MT)*
(projection through 2024)
(projection through 2026)
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Employment Projections; MT Dept. of Labor and Industry, Research and Analysis Bureau