International Graduate Application Instructions
Applying to Montana State University Billings as an international graduate student requires the following materials be submitted. Once a complete application is submitted, you will receive your admission decision in approximately one month.
How to Apply
Complete these ten simple steps:
Complete your application
Pay your application fee
- $40 for paper applications. The fee must be paid in US currency. The application fee will not be waived, deferred, or refunded. The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.
Submit a copy of your passport
- Provide a copy of the information page of your passport that includes your surname, given names, photo, date of birth, place of birth, validity period, issuing authority, place of issue, passport number, and the dates the passport was issued and will expire. The copy should be easily legible.
Submit proof of English proficiency
Students from non-English speaking countries must provide evidence of proficiency in English by submitting an approved score from one of MSUB’s approved English Proficiency tests, the TOEFL or IELTS. MSUB TOEFL institution code is 4298.
English Proficiency Examination Minimum Required Score Internet-based TOEFL test (iBT) MSUB school code: 4298
IELTS 6.5 iTEP 3.5-3.9 PTE Academic 58 Duolingo 100
Official results can be sent to:
Admissions & Records
Montana State University Billings
Attn: International Admissions
1500 University Drive
Billings, MT 59101-0298 USA
Requests for information on test procedures can be found at www.toefl.org or can be directed to the following address: Test of English as a Foreign Language , PO Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08540
* Provisional Admission: Applicants who do not have the required English language proficiency test score for full admission to MSU Billings but are academically qualified, may be considered for admission through required attendance in the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
Submit your transcripts
- Transcripts reflecting all undergraduate and/or post-baccalaureate study from each international and US college/university attended. An English translation must be included for all non-English academic transcripts and credentials. Photocopies can be used for application purposes, however, official transcripts/credentials are required to register in courses.
Submit a course by course transcript evaluation
- All records of academic work completed outside of the U.S. or in non-English speaking
countries must be submitted for a course by course evaluation to one of the following
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
- Other Evaluation services will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- All records of academic work completed outside of the U.S. or in non-English speaking countries must be submitted for a course by course evaluation to one of the following services:
Submit a personal statement
- Statement of degree objectives related to your degree of choice. Some programs may have specific requirements. Review the application requirements of the degree program you wish to apply to for more information.
Submit your resume (CV)
- Your resume should clearly outline all previous education and employment experiences as well as any additional information that demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of your desired field of study.
Submit three (3) letters of recommendation
- Recommendation letters must include reference contact information, be signed and in English.
Submit entrance examination scores, e.g., Graduate Records Exam (GRE), if required by the admitting department
- Unofficial score reports may be used for application purposes, however, an official score report is required to register in courses.
Certification of Financial Support
At the time of applying, Montana State University Billings does not require certification of financial support. However, if admitted into a US institution of education, the US government requires international applicants show proof of funds to cover at least the first year of study prior to receiving their student visa. To fulfill this requirement, you will need to submit the MSUB International Student Financial Form accompanied by an official letter or bank statement in English from a banking institution showing the amount of funds available to you during the academic year.
Applications received after these dates may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applying at least six months before these dates is strongly encouraged.
- Fall Semester (starts in early September): June 1 deadline
- Spring Semester (starts in mid-January): October 1 deadline
- Summer Semester (starts in mid-May): February 1 deadline
Notification of Admission
Applications are processed when all required documents have been received. Successful candidates will be notified by email of their MSUB admission. If certification of financial support has not yet been provided, an email will be sent to you requesting this information. You must provide certification of financial support before your I-20 form can be created. An I-20 form is necessary to obtain your F-1 student visa. Once your I-20 form has been created, an additional email will be sent to you with instructions on how to arrange for the shipment of your admissions packet that includes your letter of acceptance, your I-20 form, and an MSUB welcome guide that includes information regarding orientation, the registration process, life at MSUB, and other details to help you prepare for your move.
The sooner you submit all of your required documents, the sooner you can learn your admissions status.
Unofficial scanned copies of documents can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official test scores, transcripts, and other items must be sent to the following address:
Montana State University Billings does not tolerate fraudulent documents. If your application documents are found to be fraudulent, you will be denied admission. Your acceptance can also be revoked due to fraudulent documents. You will not be eligible for admission for up to two years.