Montana High School students, get a jump start on earning your college degree!

Enroll in college courses, while you are still in high school.


What is High School Connections?

High School Connections is a pilot program to give high school students the opportunity to earn high school and college credits simultaneously — the same class earns credits for both. And for the 2019-2020 school year, the college tuition is free! 

The high school dual enrollment program at MSUB/City College is part of a statewide initiative to increase the number of students pursuing post-secondary education by smoothing the transition between secondary and post-secondary education and to help reduce college debt. 

High school dual enrollment is an opportunity for high school students to complete a college class within their high school schedule, with a familiar teacher and in a familiar classroom. 

Credits earned are fully transferable in the Montana University System and transfer widely to other accredited colleges and universities. Be sure to check with the institution you would like to attend to verify degree requirements and acceptance of your credits. 

Tuition for this pilot program for the 2019-2020 school year has been waived. 


Important Add & Drop Dates for Fall 2019 High School Connection Classes


  1.  The class I want isn’t offered at my high school; can I take a dual enrollment class at another public high school in Billings?
    Yes. Transportation is not provided and there must be openings in the class, and the class must fit your schedule. Students should contact their school administrator as soon as possible for information and class availability.
  2.  I’m interested in taking University Connections classes. Are those offered tuition-free too?
    No, only dual credit courses that are part of the MSUB/City College High School Based Dual Enrollment Partnership will be free.
  3.  I’m already scheduled in a dual credit class at my high school. When do I need to enroll at MSUB/City College so that I get college credit for my class?
    High School counselors and the MSUB/City College Director of Dual Credit will meet with students at the start of each semester to review deadlines and will collect University Connections application forms for enrollment prior to the University enrollment deadline.
  4. Do I need to complete an application and register with MSUB/City College?
    Yes. Students need to complete a High School Connections application. This application is available on the MSUB website or from your school’s counseling office. Please note the University Connections program is not eligible for free tuition; however, the application is used for both programs.
  5. Is the pilot program offered at any of the other 2-year colleges or universities?
    This program is only offered for MSUB and City College High School Based Dual Enrollment Partners for the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters.
  6. I’m enrolled in a dual credit program through another college. Is this class part of the MSUB/City College High School Based Dual Enrollment Partnership?
    No. Only classes through the MSUB/City College High School Based Dual Enrollment Partnership are part of the program.
  7. Are there prerequisite requirements for dual credit courses?
    Yes. These vary by course and high school partner. Math and writing courses currently require a minimum ACT or Accuplacer Test score. Contact your high school counseling department for more specific information regarding minimum scores or to schedule a placement exam.
  8. If I don’t meet the minimum requirements for a class may I retest?
    Yes. You can retake the ACT or the Accuplacer test again. There may be fees involved.
  9. Do I receive a grade and credit on both the high school transcript and MSUB/City College transcript?
    Yes. Students receive a grade on both transcripts. Your college grade and credits will be recorded on a permanent college transcript.
  10. Are there any fees involved with courses associated with this pilot program?
    Yes. Some courses may require fees such as textbooks, software licenses, lab fees, etc.

See a guidance counselor or academic advisor for a list of courses.


High School Connections contact:
Sydney Donaldson, Director of Dual Enrollment City College/MSUB
Phone: 406-247-3015
Fax: 406-247-3014


Students enrolled in School District 2:
Roger Dereszynski, Billings Public Schools Representative


University Connections contact:
Bryan Grove, Advising & Career Services
Phone: 406-657-2240
Fax: 406-657-2302


What is University Connections? 

University Connections is a dual credit program available to all high school and home school students across Montana.  The cost for this program is approximately $51.50 per credit.*

  • There is no limit on the number of credits you can enroll for each semester.
  • High school seniors are still eligible for the University Connection program the summer following graduation.
  • Enroll in an Online University Connection course, and we will waive the technology fee.

*Tuition and fees are subject to change by the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education. Additional course fees may apply. If you have any questions regarding current tuition and fees, please contact the Business Office at 406-657-2301.

NOTE: Reduced tuition is only available to MT Residents.

For ONLY the 2019-2020 academic year the tuition for the University Connections program will be waived

The Montana Transferable Core Curriculum represents an agreement among the community, tribal, and publicly-funded colleges and universities in the state of Montana. A sampling of these courses is listed below. Please contact Advising & Career Services for a complete listing.

ARTH 150 Introduction to Art History
COMX 106 Communication in a Dynamic Workplace 
COMX 115 Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
COMX 111 Introduction to Public Speaking
GPHY 141 Geography of World Regions
MUSI 101 Enjoyment of Music
NASX 105 Intro. to Native American Studies
PHL 110 Introduction to Ethics
PSCI 220 Introduction to Comparative Government
PSCI 230 Introduction to International Relations
PSYX 100 Introduction to Psychology
SOCI 101 Introduction to Sociology

How to Enroll

  1. Download a printable application form or pick up a copy at your high school counselor's office. 

  2. Download a printable Release of Information Form, or pick up a copy at your high school counselor's office. This form is required along with your application


  4. Return your University Connection Application and Registration Form along with your immunization records (available from your school nurse) to the Admissions and Records Office at MSU Billings.

  5. If you have questions about courses or need advising, call  Advising and Career Services at 657-2240 or send email.

Students interested in Digital Academy courses click here.