Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) ensures that the rights, safety, and welfare of human subjects are protected. The IRB reviews and oversees all human subjects research that is: sponsored by MSUB; conducted by or under the direction of any employee, faculty, staff, or student of MSUB in connection with their institutional responsibilities; conducted using any property or facility of the institution; or involves the use of MSUB’s non-public information to identify or contact human research subjects or prospective subjects. Please consult the IRB Bylaws for more detailed information.
The IRB consists of the following members appointed by the Grants and Sponsored Programs Director, with respect to their involvement in research that includes human subjects:
- One faculty member from each college,
- Four members unaffiliated with MSUB, representing the following constituencies:
- Community Science Researcher,
- Community Ethicist,
- Community Non-Scientist,
- Community At-Large.
Each member shall serve for 3 years and may serve 2 consecutive terms with an annual rotation where 1/3 of the members will be replaced. Former members are eligible for membership if absent from the board for a three-year term. Potential new members will be sought with the input of current and outgoing members.
Current Board Members
- IRB Chair – Dr. Jennifer Scroggins
- College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences – Dr. Mara Pierce
- College of Education – Dr. Melissa Walker
- College of Business – Dr. Anna Talafuse
- City College – Mr. Austin Bennett
- College of Health Professions and Science – Dr. Alex Shafer
- Grants & Sponsored Programs Director – Ms. Cindy Bell
- Community Science Researcher – Vacant
- Community Ethicist – Dr. Walter Gulick
- Community Non-Scientist – Ms. Nancy Hughes
- Community At-Large – Vacant