Financial Aid and Scholarships

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Requesting changes to your award: If you have additional expenses, such as dependent care or costs related to a disability that are not paid by another source (AFDC, Vocational Rehabilitation), you may request an adjustment in your budget. You will be required to provide documentation regarding the expenses. Standardized amounts for dependent care will be used, if you qualify. Get Request for Child Care forms online.

If your 2011 income or your parents’ 2011 income will be considerably less than your 2010 income due to loss of employment or benefits, death, divorce, or reduction in employment hours, you may request a “Professional Judgment” re-evaluation of your financial aid eligibility. You or your parents will be required to document the change of income. Professional judgments are reviewed on a case-by-case basis in the order they are received after the student’s initial award letter has been processed. Changes due to income only will not be reviewed until after January 1, 2012, unless this is the result of a death or divorce. Get the 2011/2012 Professional Judgment Appeal Form is on line.

If your residency or enrollment plans change, you must notify the Financial Aid Office because your eligibility for financial aid may be affected. If you receive any educational funding, such as Veteran’s Benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation, and/or Employer Assistance, or if you are awarded a scholarship, grant, or stipend, you must report this information to the Financial Aid Office in writing as soon as possible. A Financial Aid Administrator will re-evaluate your eligibility. If you are no longer eligible for part of the aid you have been offered, we will work with you to resolve any over-award as painlessly as possible. If it is necessary that you repay a portion of your financial aid, you will have to repay it before you are eligible for further aid.

After you leave school, you must stay current with your loan payments to the college or lender. If the Financial Aid Office learns that you are delinquent or in default on a loan from another school, your current award could be canceled. The MSU Billings Business Office staff can help you with Perkins Loan deferments and repayment arrangements to avoid default.

Financial Aid Responsibility

The Financial Aid staff is responsible for processing your aid application and administering your award in a timely manner. You have the right to expect equitable treatment in the consideration of your application for financial aid and employment assistance. Each student’s file is evaluated on an individual basis and financial aid is awarded according to eligibility and packaging guidelines. The Financial Aid staff reviews files in the order they are completed. Students who provide information to complete their files during peak business times (July, August & September) may experience a substantial delay due to the high volume of files being processed. If you apply or complete your file late, please be prepared to pay with you own funds until your file is reviewed and awarded.

Get print-friendly version of this information (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Facebook icon
Flikr icon
Instagram icon
Twitter icon
YouTube icon
MSUB mobile app icon
A-Z Index: A | B |C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
1500 University Drive | Billings, MT 59101 | 406.657.2011 | 800.565.6782 | © 2010 Montana State University Billings |