University Relations and Communications
2019 Sigma Tau Delta poetry contest open call for entries
Submission deadline is March 13
University Relations and Communications, 657-2266
MSU BILLINGS NEWS— Entries are now open for the 2019 Sigma Tau Delta poetry contest at Montana State University Billings. The deadline to enter is Wednesday, March 13, 2019.
Each year, the MSU Billings branch of Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society, sponsors a poetry contest for all MSUB students. This is a chance for students interested in creative writing to be recognized for the quality of their work.
The contest is open to all students enrolled at MSUB in two-year, four-year, or graduate programs. Up to five cash prizes will be awarded, and every winner also receives a certificate.
The prizes are:
- $25 first prize
- $15 second prize
- $10 third prize
- 2 $5 honorable mentions
Contest judges are faculty in the MSU Billings Department of English, Philosophy, and Modern Languages. Winning poems will be displayed on the fourth floor of the Liberal Arts Building and published in The Rook with the poets’ permission. Only winners only will be contacted with the results.
- Students should submit three anonymous typed copies of each poem with just one separate cover sheet for all entries stating name, address/email, phone number, and poem title(s)
- Upper limit of three different poems per person, with a title on each poem
- There is NO entry fee
- Deadline for entry is Wednesday, March 13, 2019
- Bring entries to the Department of English, Philosophy, and Modern Languages office, LA 400; send them to the English Dept. through campus mail; or give them to Rachel Schaffer (LA 426).
- Please remember to bring or send three copies of each poem
- Substantive content
- Precise language and concrete images
- Avoidance of unintentional ambiguities
- Careful editing and proofreading
- Demonstrated knowledge of and active engagement with poetic techniques and devices
Please pass this along to students who may be interested.For more information, contact Sigma Tau Delta faculty advisor Rachel Schaffer at (406) 657-2954, firstname.lastname@example.org, LA 426.