Monitor Slides Best Practices
The flat screens located throughout campus serve as a useful tool for disseminating information about news and events of interest to students, faculty and staff. Consistency and continuity of presentation helps improve the effectiveness of that communication. To that end, UCAM has assembled a list of best practices for slide creating and distribution. Please also see the Current Info page to view the complete list of slides currently available for the monitor slideshow.
Content and Usage
- Please submit slides to email@example.com at least two weeks before an event
- Slides should only be for MSUB events hosted by the university
- Slides must be pertinent to students and visitors on campus. Messages directed only at faculty and staff may be submitted to @the Hive or Intranet Announcements.
- Advertise work study, internships, external job opportunities on CareerLink, not the monitors
- The exception to this is that student stipend positions may be posted on monitors
Formatting and Layout
- Create slide in PowerPoint wide format (16:9) or JPEG or PNG in 1920 x 1080 resolution
- Keep backgrounds clean and not distracting
- If available, include a complementary image
- Consider audience and purpose – avoid provocative or sensitive imagery & content
- Limit words so slide is readable in under 10 seconds – less is more
- Slide information should include
- Name of event, occurrence, activity or happening
- Time—use figures and lowercase letters (e.g. 9 a.m., 6 p.m.)
- Additional details (typically related to “who” or “why” and kept brief)
- Choose one call to action (e.g. contact name, phone number, visit website, etc.)
- Avoid use of ALL CAPS or fonts that resemble caps
- Refrain from including QR codes which are specifically designed for print to direct users to a digital source
- Refer to Editorial Style Guidelines for consistency of faculty and staff titles, locations,
NOTE: If a slide submission does not fit within these best practices, UCAM may make adjustments.