Students encouraged to be a part of Sigma Tau Delta poetry contest
Each year, the Montana State University Billings branch of Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society, sponsors a poetry contest for all MSU Billings students. This is a chance for students interested in creative writing to be recognized for the quality of their work.
Open to all students in two-year, four-year or graduate programs, the contest will award up to five cash prizes, and every winner also receives a certificate. The prizes are:
- $25 for first prize
- $15 second prize
- $10 third prize
- 2 $5 honorable mentions.
The judges are faculty in the MSU Billings English/Philosophy department and/or local poets. Winning poems will be displayed in the showcase on the fourth floor of the Liberal Arts Building and possibly published in the Retort. Winners only will be contacted.
- Students should submit 5 (five) anonymous typed copies of each poem with just 1 (ONE) separate cover sheet FOR ALL ENTRIES stating name, address/email, phone number, and poem title(s)
- Upper limit of 3 different poems per person
- There is NO entry fee
- Deadline for entry is Wednesday, March 7, 2012
- Bring entries to the Department of English, Philosophy and Modern Languages office, LA 400
- Substantive content
- Precise language and concrete images
- Avoidance of unintentional ambiguities
- Careful editing and proofreading
- Demonstrated knowledge of and active engagement with poetic techniques and devices
For more information, contact Rachel Schaffer, Sigma Tau Delta faculty advisor, at 657-2954, firstname.lastname@example.org, LA 426.
Please pass this along to students who may be interested.