Student Health Services


Frequently Asked Questions

(click on question to view answer)


Electing or waiving the student health insurance plan is a part of registration.


Click here for full instructions.


Hide this text.



Where is the Student Health Services clinic located and what are the hours?


We are located on the second floor of Petro Hall (right above the bookstore) on the University campus and on the second floor of the Tech Building at the City College campus.


University campus hours: Mon– Fri 8 – 5 (Provider clinic hours vary by day)


City College hours: Mon, 9a-12p; Wed, 1-4p; Tue & Thu, 11a - 2p



Who is eligible to use the clinic?


All students of MSU Billings and MSUB City College as well as MSU Bozeman nursing students.



What is the visit going to cost me?


We do have fees for certain services.  Click here for fees schedule.



Do I need to have insurance to be seen?


No.  Health insurance is not required.



What types of services does Student Health Services offer?


Student Health Services provides a wide range of medical, mental health counseling, prevention and wellness services to help our students be healthy and academically successful.  We strive to promote and protect the health of our campus community, so that our students can thrive in all aspects of their lives.



Do I have to make an appointment?


Yes.  You can schedule an appointment by calling the University Health Services at 406-657-2153 or by stopping by the office located in Petro Hall. You can also call the City College Health Services at 406-247-3027 or stop by the office located in the Tech Building during the City College hours.



Do you take walk-ins?


We don’t take walk-ins like an urgent care facility, but you will be scheduled in the first available appointment.  We try to accommodate same day appointments as long as a provider is available, however, an appointment may need to be the next day.



What if I’m late for an appointment?


Your appointment is the time reserved for you to speak with the provider.  When you are late, it causes other scheduled appointments to be delayed, which isn’t fair to other patients.  Therefore, if you arrive 10 minutes late for your scheduled appointment, you will be rescheduled for a future date and time.  It is recommended that you aim to arrive 10 to 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment to ensure you have plenty of time to find parking, check in, complete any necessary paperwork and relax for a moment before seeing the provider.



Can I get a prescription written at Student Health Services?


Yes.  If a prescription is warranted, it can be written by the provider and then you can have it filled at any community pharmacy.  There are numerous pharmacies within walking distance to the campus.



Do you offer Mental Health Counseling?



What is this and how can I have it lifted?


The immunization hold means you have not yet met the immunization requirements.  You will need to submit a signed official proof of immunization in order to have the hold lifted.


Click here for immunization requirement form.



I am taking online classes only and will not physically be on-campus.  Do I still have to comply with the immunization requirements?


If you are taking strictly online classes meaning the class does not meet on campus for any reason, then you are not required to submit immunization records.  However, the hold can only be lifted one semester at a time without submitting those records.  You would accomplish this by calling the Student Health Services at 406-657-2153.  You will have to comply with the requirements if your online only status changes.



Can I get my allergy shots while a student?


Yes.  Student Health Services will administer allergy injections for you for a small administration fee.  Call to arrange an appointment time.  You will need to bring your allergy serum and complete physician instructions with you as well as adhere to SHS allergy injection policy.  We will store your serum at Student Health according to your allergist’s instructions.  SHS does not provide allergy testing services.



What do I do if the Student Health Services is closed?


If this is an emergency, please call 911.


For nonemergency situations:


Medical: St. Vincent Healthcare
Walk-in: 1233 No 30th - 237-4122
Emergency Dept: 1233 No 30th – 237-4100
Broadwater Walkin:  2019 Broadwater Avenue – 237-5250
Nurse Advisor:  657-8778


Billings Clinic
Same Day Care: 801 No 29th – 238-2677
760 Wicks – 238-2575
2675 Central – 238-2900
Emergency Dept:  2800 10th Avenue North – 238-2500
Healthline: 255-8400


Mental Health:  Billings Clinic:  2800 10th Avenue North -
Community Crisis Center:  704 No 30th – 259-8800



Can I get an excuse for a class from Student Health Services?


If you were seen by one of our providers, a note can be provided verifying that you were seen.  It is up to the discretion of your professor if this would be an excused absence.



How do I elect or waive the student health insurance?


Electing or waiving the student health insurance plan is a part of registration.


Click here for full instructions.