MSU Billings Jazz Festival
Thursday, February 7, 2019
The Montana State University Billings Jazz Ensembles are focused on authentically learning multiple styles of Jazz and Commercial music in order for the student to approach future playing and teaching situations with confidence and knowledge. Our ensembles sincerely enjoy sharing the love of music and broadening our own minds as well as those in the community, to become more artistically and culturally aware.
All college, high school and junior high jazz ensembles in the state are cordially invited to the MSU Billings Jazz Festival, which will take place on Thursday, February 7, 2019 at MSU Billings. All sizes of ensembles are invited to attend, including big bands, combos and any other size or instrumentation of Jazz Ensemble. Vocalists welcome in combos and big bands. In addition to adjudication, highly experienced clinicians will also provide improvisation, instrumental and music production clinics. This festival is non-competitive and focused on education and nurturing the love of the music. Top Soloists of the festival will be awarded at the evening concert. Adjudication fees are $150 per ensemble.
- Matt Otto, Featured Artist Headliner; Jazz Saxophonist by way of Los Angeles and New York City (https://www.mattotto.org/about/)
- Darrell Green, Featured Artist Headliner; one of the premier drummers of the current New York City and international scene (Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter, Lonnie Smith and many, many more (https://www.darrellgreen.net/biography)
- Brennan Baglio, Clinician; Jazz Vocalist and educator (http://www.brennanbaglio.com)
- Kelly Berdahl, Clinician; trumpt player and music educator
- Eric Richards, Clinician; Trombonist and arranger supreme (http://www.ericrichards.com/)
The Jazz Festival Concert featuring the MSUB Jazz Band and the guest artist will take place at the MSUB Petro Theater from 7-9 pm on Thursday, February 7, 2019 (doors open at 6:15 pm). General Admission tickets to attend the performance are only $10. FREE Admission with valid MSUB ID at the door.
MSU Billings’ past jazz festivals have been very successful with guest artists such as Alex Iles, Bob Bowman, Scott Jeppesen, Brennan Baglio, Wayne Bergeron, Katisse Buckingham, Maynard Ferguson, Bill Watrous, Doc Cheatum, George Shearing, Bobby Shew, Nick Mancini and Denis DiBlasio. Please join us in making this another educational tradition and musical mainstay in Montana.
Photo above: Alex, a Conn/Selmer performing artist
For more information please contact John Roberts.