Licensure Processing Procedures
Contact: Jennifer Burns, 657-2293
Access the appropriate state department of education web page, print out, and complete the required licensure application documents.
Elementary license candidates must take the Praxis II exam #0014/5014, Elementary Education: Content Knowledge prior to licensure. The minimum score accepted for a licensure recommendation is 154. Many Secondary and K-12 teaching majors and minors require a Praxis II subject (content) exam prior to licensure and the established Montana score requirement(s) must be met for a licensure recommendation.
The COE Licensure official will process out-of-state applications. Access (via the state’s department of education web page) the necessary documents. Once the documents have been printed and completed, submit the page(s) that require the MSU Billings seal and signatures to COE Room 278.
- Most states require the candidate to mail all applicable papers and documentation in one complete package.
- Know the state’s particular licensing requirements and provide the applicable documentation, including fingerprinting and criminal background checks.
- Most states require licensing exams, such as Praxis II. Research the testing requirements in advance of application.
Applications for teacher licensure and endorsements must be reviewed and receive approval by the Officer prior to institutional recommendation and final consideration by the State Licensure Unit in Helena, Montana or any other state department of education. The licensure unit in each state’s Department of Education is responsible for final consideration and approval.
- Fingerprints and Criminal Background Checks cannot be older than 23 months. If necessary, have a new fingerprint card made and submit to COE 261. Contact Jennifer Burns at 657-2293 for information.
Please note that a criminal background report can only be redisseminated to a Montana public school or school district, a unit of the Montana University System, and the Montana Office of Public Instruction. Redisseimination can be made only upon receipt of fingerprint redissemination request form. For redissemination to Montana's Office of Public Instruction, please use the Redissemination Request form found on the OPI website, Educator Licensure tab, Application Materials link.
Praxis Requirement Information
- Praxis Information (PDF)
- State Test Requirements
- Praxis Passing Scores by Test and State
- Praxis Overview
State Department of Education websites