Here is who is required to live on campus:

In support of the mission of Montana State University Billings, all University Campus and City College students less than 3 years out of high school with less than 30 credit hours accomplished before the start of the semester, are required to live in university owned residence halls. Please note that accumulated credits through High School AP courses or Dual Enrollment courses do not count towards the 30 credit limit to be exempt from on-campus housing.

Students who do not submit an application for on-campus housing or submit an approved exemption request by June 1, 2021 will be subject to a registration hold placed on their account until either an application or approved exemption request is submitted.

Here is who is automatically exempt from housing if they are under 30 credits

(no documentation is needed for the following, however completion of the form is required):

  • Students Over 21 Years of Age at the date of when the residence halls open (Sunday, September 5, 2021)

Exemptions to the live on requirement:

Living with Immediate Family (Legal Guardian, Parent, or Grandparent) within Yellowstone County. Please note the following counties no longer fit this requirement: Carbon, Stillwater, Big Horn, Musselshell, Treasure, & Golden Valley
Marriage Must be supported by a marriage certificate or common law affidavit.
Physical custody of a dependent child Must provide a copy of child’s birth certificate.
Financial Hardship Student must include a letter that denotes and documentation of recent financial charge.
Medical Related Condition Student must provide medical documentation.
Documented Disability This requires evaluation by the Office of Disability Support Services (University Campus; College of Education, Room 135: City College; Tech Building, Room A008).
Unusual Circumstances Include all pertinent information in a letter by the student.
Active Military/Veteran Student must provide copy of DD Form 214. If DD Form 214 is unavailable, the student must provide a copy of the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) and/or other documentation that shows active military status.
Enrolled in 5 or fewer credits  
Online Student  
Non-Degree Seeking Student  


Note: City College students are not exempt from the live on requirement and must sign up for housing accordingly or complete an exemption request that meets any other exemption area.

All requests for exemption must be made to the Office of Housing & Residence Life two weeks prior to residence hall opening for consideration. Please contact the Housing Office, SUB 225, by calling 406-657-2333 or online at if you need an exemption form.

Please click below to complete a Housing Application or Exemption form.

Housing Application

Exemption Request