All international students and faculty scholars are encouraged to take advantage of a number of services which are provided on campus, including:

For more information or to use any of these services, please contact the staff at the Office of International Studies.

SEVIS Registration

Registration form is required to be turned in at the beginning of every semester. Please print and fill out the MSUB Immigration Registration Form and make sure to sign on the bottom. Return the registration form to OIS promptly at the start of semester.


All international students must have authorized DSO travel signatures on immigration documents when traveling outside of United States. If your I-20 travel form is not signed, you may not be permitted to re-enter the U.S. Signatures on I-20s (F1 visa holders) are valid for one year (12 months). Signatures on DS-2019s (J1 visa holders) are valid for six months.


International F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus. J-1 students may be eligible for employment, but should consult with the Office of International Studies Immigration Specialist. For more information about J-1 student employment regulations, please review On-Campus Employment Authorization For MSUB Sponsored J-1 Students.

On-campus employment

F-1 students are permitted to apply for on-campus positions. Places to look for openings: Rimrock Cafe & Stingers (Sodexo), library, residence halls, I.T., cafeteria, tutoring at Academic Support Center, gym. International students are not eligible for work study positions due to the positions being predominantly funded by U.S. or state monetary allocations.

Off-campus employment (CPT/OPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is work authorization that allows a student to work in a job directly related to the student‘s major area of study before degree completion. The position must be needed to complete degree i.e. internship position required for graduation. Only F-1 students are eligible.

CPT/Off-Campus Internships: Eligibility Requirements & Application Process

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is work authorization that allows a student to work in a job directly related to the student‘s major area of study either before or after degree completion. The fair majority of students use OPT to work after degree completion. Only F-1 students are eligible.

Click on the relevant links below for OPT documents and more information.

Social Security Number

In order to work in the U.S., even on campus, you need a Social Security number. The Social Security Administration will only assign Social Security numbers to students with documentation certifying that they have an employment offer.

Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens

Please contact the office of Office of International Studies to make an appointment  for further assistance.

Download Social Security Number Application Process


All international students and scholars in non-immigrant visa classifications must file tax forms to the IRS by April 15 every year. If you earned a wage in the previous year, then you must file a 1040 NZ and may be required to pay city, state and federal taxes. You may also be eligible to receive a tax return, depending on the amount paid. In certain instances students may be exempted because of tax treaty between the United States and their home country, or if their employment can be considered to be a fellowship, as defined by the IRS.

We strongly encourage you to get professional help in filing your taxes. The Office of International Studies does not have a tax professional on staff, and therefore is not authorized to give tax advice.

Tax Filing Resources for International Students

Banking & Cell Phone

Office of International Studies Office help students set up local bank accounts and cell phone services as needed. Please contact us to make an appointment.

Driver's License

International students are able to take local driver’s license written test and road test to acquire driver’s license. To get a new license, students must first pass a written exam to qualify to take the driving exam. Please note that the wait list for taking the exam can be 2-3 months, so apply early. Students must provide their own vehicle for the driving exam.

Information about getting a Driver's License or MT state ID

Invitation Letters for Family/Friends

In most cases, OIS will no longer write invitation letters on behalf of students, inviting students' family and friends to the U.S. Per U.S. Department of State guidance, an invitation letter from the host universities is not needed for your relatives to apply for a visitor’s visa. For specific instructions regarding what is needed for the B-1/B-2 visa, please refer your family member to the website of the embassy/consulate where they will apply for the visa.

Sample Invitation Letter for F-1/J-1 Students

For More Information

Learn more about MSUB academics, degrees and majors, campus calendars, student services, MSUB policies and procedures, campus directory, and much more helpful information on MSUB's Current Students page.