Strategic Planning Committee
Introduction and Background
Based on input from the university, sessions with a facilitator, the Chancellor’s first year goals, the MSU and MUS strategic plans, and other documents, the leadership team has established four guiding themes and five core objectives. A committee consisting of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community members are responsible for developing and refining each objective.
The Strategic Planning Committee will produce a recommended Strategic Plan for the university, which will be reviewed and approved by the Chancellor before ultimately going to the Board of Regents for review and approval.
The plan will be guided by a revised mission and vision statement for the university, reviewed by the campus community and approved by the Chancellor’s Cabinet. Within the plan, the committees will detail the four core themes, which capture the focus areas for the future direction of MSUB. To accomplish this, its five strategic objectives must provide specific goals and targets to be completed.
Sub-objectives and action plans for implementation of these objectives will follow in order to actualize the distinguished priorities. Finally, metrics for evaluation will underlie the action plans to assess the university’s progress in achieving its objectives.
The comprehensive Strategic Plan will also be accompanied by a one-page summary of key objectives and outcomes. The Strategic plan will be tracked by a project plan, which will measure and assess the progress on each objective and its components parts.
- Approved Mission: Montana State University Billings delivers a transformative education that empowers students from diverse backgrounds to succeed.
- Approved Vision: Educating students to impact an evolving global community.
- Approved Core Themes:
1) Theme I: Build educational programs to support student needs
2) Theme II: Progressively grow the university
3) Theme III: Strengthen relationships with the community to enhance partnership opportunities
4) Theme IV: Unify, invigorate, and engage MSUB’s structure and culture