The Montana State University Billings Staff Senate is a recommending body, with the final authority resting with the Chancellor. Its job is defined in the following:
- Assist in the development of staff training programs and policies;
- Facilitate communication and cooperation between the administration and the staff of Montana State University Billings
- Promote improvement of higher education in the State of Montana
- Promote and provide for improved working conditions and professional welfare of the staff
- Carry out such other goals and activities as the Senate shall determine from time to time to be consistent with the overall purpose of the Staff Senate.