ACADEMIC SENATE MINUTES

 

 

DATE:            April 19, 2007

 

PRESENT:     Agnes Samples                                     Mark Hardt

                        Rakesh Sah                                          Sandie Rietz

                        Bruce Brumley                                      Audrey ConnerRosberg

                        Lorrie Steerey                                      Keith Edgerton

                        Gershon Bulgatz                                   Craig McKenzie

                        Matt Redinger

 

ABSENT:       Johanna Mitchell – excused                  Noreen Lee – excused

                        Alicia Esteves (student)                         Tedee Cuomo (student)

                        David Garloff (ex-officio)                      Tasneem Khaleel (ex-officio)

                        Gary Young (ex-officio)                        Mary Susan Fishbaugh (ex-officio)

                        John Cech (ex-officio)                          Karen Heikel (ex-officio)

                        George White (ex-officio)                     Terrie Iverson (ex-officio)

                        Stacy Klippenstein (ex-officio)

 

PRESIDING: Audrey ConnerRosberg, Chair

 

 

Audrey ConnerRosberg called the meeting to order at 3:44 p.m. in the Bridger room.

 

The minutes of April 12 were accepted as presented.

 

I.          ITEMS – FIRST READING

 

Approved by the Graduate Committee 4/11/07

Item 65  Certificate of Teaching and Learning Online.  New program.

Item 65.a  EDCI 574 Adaptations and Accommodations for Diverse Learners.  New course.

Item 65.b  EDCI 575 Assessment of Learning Outcomes Part I.  New course.

Item 65.c  EDCI 577 Assessment of Learning Outcomes Part II.  New course.

Item 65.d  EDCI 573 Instructional Design.  Change title.

Item 65.e  EDCI 672 Instructional Materials Design.  Change number to 576.

 

Ž Motion by Lorrie Steerey, seconded by Bruce Brumley to approve Items 65, 65.a, 65.b, 65.c, 65.d, and 65.e on first reading.

 

It was noted that this is a new program with three new courses.  We really need someone to come and talk about it.

 

Ž Motion by Keith Edgerton, seconded by Gershon Bulgatz to table Items 65, 65.a, 65.b, 65.c, 65.d, and 65.e until next week.

 

II.         DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS

 

A.  Discussion of Possible Requirement:  All Students Must Take One Online Course

 

Dr. ConnerRosberg noted that this proposal came up in Provost Council, but there was not much discussion on it.

 

It was noted that unless they waive the $40 per credit fee, all students cannot be required to take a course online.  If the fee were not waived, it would most likely be in conflict with Board of Regents policy.  It was cited that some of the Colleges have had discussions on this proposal and are opposed to it.

 

Ž Motion by Sandie Rietz, seconded by Mark Hardt that the Senate unequivocally opposes the idea that all students be required to take one online course.

 

Ž Motion carried unanimously.

 

B.  Percentage of Part-Time Faculty that Teach MSU-B Classes

 

It was noted that Provost White will be unavailable both this week and next week to discuss this topic.  It was agreed that part-time faculty will be discussed in the fall, and over the summer the last five years’ worth of data will be gathered.

 

C.  Budget Committee

 

It was noted that there has been confusion over just how much we have to cut this year.  The latest information going around says we have a shortfall of $1.2 million.

 

Ž Motion by Lorrie Steerey, seconded by Sandie Rietz to send the following memo (written by the ad hoc Budget Committee) to Chancellor Sexton and that the Senate Budget Committee begin working.

 

Recently an Academic Senate ad hoc subcommittee met to discuss revitalizing the Senate’s standing Budget Committee.  The Senate is strongly committed to shared governance and wishes to remind the campus community that faculty currently have no means or avenue for formal participation at MSU Billings in the deliberations centering around our institution’s overall budget through our traditional shared governance structures.  Consequently, the Senate would like its Budget Committee to begin meeting with the administration again beginning in the summer of 2007 in order to carry out its charge as outlined in the Senate bylaws, to wit:

The Budget Committee shall… assist in the development of and make recommendations to the Academic Senate and the Administration concerning the resource allocation process at MSU-Billings for education and general funds appropriated by the State Legislature and approved by the Board of Regents.

 

This semester, the Senate revised the bylaws of this Committee to allow full voting rights for all the members who serve, including those serving from the administration.  The Academic Senate is strongly convinced that this Committee can and should assist substantially in formulating budget policy that will guide this institution in the coming years.

 

The faculty are likewise convinced that in order for this Committee to work effectively, it will need all financial data that the Chancellor and his subordinates have available to them—including all general fund appropriations, grants, and private monies that are currently or will become available to the institution.  Moreover, this Committee should meet on a regular schedule, as it has in the past, both during the summer and during the academic year, to assist in making recommendations that will guide the institution each biennium.  Faculty agree that that this Committee should take the lead in making informed and important budgetary decisions and recommendations that allow our institution to grow and flourish.

 

Ž Motion carried unanimously.

 

It was agreed that the memo will be copied to the Deans, all faculty, and President Gamble.

 

D.  “Intellectual Diversity”

 

Dr. ConnerRosberg noted that Rep. Roger Koopman of Bozeman is now trying to get a study done of “Intellectual Diversity” across the University System.  As far as we know, no action has taken place on that proposal.

 

(Intellectual Diversity… is a dangerous attempt to impose an ideological agenda through legislative mandate which the faculty at MSU-Billings strongly oppose and find to be completely counter to tradition and academic freedom because it constitutes a full-scale assault on the rights of all Montanans to engage in the free exchange of ideas.  From the Senate minutes of February 15, 2007)

 

E.  Faculty Representative on the ASMSUB

 

Dan Hansen, Vice President, has requested a volunteer or two who would be willing to attend one ASMSUB meeting a month to bring faculty issues to the student government.

 

Lorrie Steerey stated she would volunteer, but will contact the Vice Chairs of the Senate if she is unable to make the meetings.

 

F.  Summer School Schedule

 

It was observed that although Dean Karen Heikel told the Senate last week that the calendar for Summer 2008 has been decided, other Deans are saying a decision has not yet been made.  The shared governance process is in question because no faculty input was received on this decision.

 

It was noted that we don’t want to do a disservice to the students we already have attending Summer Session.  This new schedule does not take into account the needs of our current students.

 

It was cited that our bylaws state that the calendar is a responsibility of the Senate:

The Senate is charged with the responsibility of making recommendations to the Chancellor of MSU-B on matters concerning curriculum and academic policy, degree requirements, admission and retention, the MSU-B calendar, the structure of the academic programs, and other matters referred by the Chancellor of MSU-B or Faculty Administration Committee.  (Academic Senate Bylaws Article I Section A)

 

We need to have a moratorium on changes to the 2008 summer calendar and then form a committee with faculty and students next year to look at the issues.

 

G.  Spring General Faculty Meeting (April 18)

 

It was noted that at the General Faculty Meeting, Provost White discussed the assessment for Academic Foundations courses and for programs.  He is asking all faculty to commit to one particular paradigm of teaching and learning, and it will reduce our academic freedom considerably.

 

It was noted that the eCollege assessment software is not required.  If there already exists software or programs to measure outcomes in any given program, faculty can use that software or program.  Faculty can also create their own.  However, all results must be in the same format.

 

 

The Senate agreed that next week would be the last meeting of 2006-2007.  They will not meet during finals week.

 

 

The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

 

rjrm