University Police

Emergency Procedures

Hazardous Substance Spill


Any major spill of a hazardous substance must be reported immediately to the University Police (x2147). During regular business hours, also call Facilities Services (x1713). Science Technical Services may also be contacted at (x2020) if spill is inside the Science Building.


Personnel on site should be vacated from the affected area at once. Seal off the contaminated area to prevent further contamination until the arrival of trained responders.


Personnel who may be contaminated by a spill/release are to:

    • Seek medical attention immediately.
    •  Avoid contact with others.
    •  Alert responders/emergency personnel of injury/contamination.