Institutional Review Board
Montana State University Billings requires all projects that involve human subjects undergo review by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) including student, staff, and faculty projects without exception. Students conducting human subjects research must have a faculty sponsor to supervise the project. If you are unsure if your project requires IRB review, please contact the Office of Research Compliance.
If you are conducting human subjects research, you must submit an application to the IRB. All applicants are required to take the CITI human subjects research training. Links to both, along with the federal Code of Regulations, can be found here:
- Application for human subjects research to the Institutional Research Board
- Some older versions of Mac have trouble checking the boxes on the form. If this applies to you, you can use this version of the application, and mark an "X" in front of the options that apply to your study.
- CITI human subjects research training
- CITI student walkthrough
- Training through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will expire September 26, 2018. This training should no longer be used for human subjects research certification.
- CITI cannot be older than three years. If three years have lapsed and your project requires human subjects research, you will need to repeat the training.
- Code of Federal Regulations for Protection of Human Subjects
Applications should be sent to the Office of Grants and Sponsored Programs through one of two ways:
- Electronic application
- Faculty members can submit IRB applications with electronic signatures.
- Students can submit electronic applications as long as it contains a scanned copy of the physical signatures page (no electronic signatures will be accepted from student applicants). Student applications are not accepted without the signed approval of faculty mentors.
- Please email applications to email@example.com.
- Physical application
- Physical applications can be brought to McMullen room 205.
- Physical signatures are required of all student applicants. Student applications are not accepted without the signed approval of faculty mentors.
Before submitting, please take a quick look through our submission checklist. Incomplete or incorrect applications can greatly slow down the review process.
»» IRB Application
»» Informed Consent
»» IRB Examples