Add a chat message
Type a message in the text box at the bottom of the chat room, and press Enter on your keyboard or click Send.
Refresh your chat window
If you think new messages are not appearing on your screen fast enough, click Refresh at the top of the chat. This icon is visible when you have New Messages checked in your Chat Settings.
See who else is chatting
The Participants pane displays a list of users currently signed in to a chat room.
Manage your chat settings
- Do one of the following:
- On the Chat List page, click Settings at the top of the page.
- Inside a chat, click Settings along the top of the chat window.
- Enter a new alias in the Alias field. Depending on your permissions, you can change your alias, or chat name, if you want to appear as a different name, such as a nickname, to other chat participants.
- Select the check boxes for Bold or Italics, if desired.
- Set an Alias Color, if desired.
- Modify the appearance of chat messages. If you want to change the message order, select New to Old or Old to New. If you want to see new messages only, select New Messages. This requires you to manually refresh the screen, to see new messages and remove all old ones.
Note You can change back to see all messages, which restores all messages for that session, even if they were not visible while New Messages was checked.
- You can change your sound settings so you can hear a sound when someone enters the chat, leaves the chat, or when there is an incoming message. Select a sound from the following drop-down lists:
- Incoming Message Sound
- Person Enters Chat Sound
- Person Leaves Chat Sound
- Click Save.
Desire2Learn Help © 1999-2012 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.