Fill in the blanks (FIB) questions require respondents to fill in one or more missing words for an incomplete sentence, statement, phrase, list, or key terminology.
Create a fill in the blanks question
NoteAs a best practice, we recommend that answers in blank fields be no more than one or two words to ensure auto-grading accuracy.
- Enter a Title. Enter a Points value. Select a difficulty level in the Difficulty drop-down list.
- Click Add a File to upload an image to accompany your question. You can enter a description of the image in the Description field.
- Click Add Blank to create additional blank fields. Click Add Text to create additional text fields. Your listed order of blank and text fields correspond with the sequence displayed to users.
- Enter the start of your text in the first Text field.
- Set the display Size for the Blank field.
- Click Add Answer if you accept more than one possible solution for the Blank field. To reduce the number of possible solutions for each Blank field, you can click the Remove Answer icon for a corresponding Answer option.
For each possible solution of a Blank field, enter an Answer and set a weight in the Weight (%) field. You can set different weightings if some solutions are more correct than others.
NoteAn FIB question's maximum points value is reflected by a 100% weight. As a best practice, the combined weight of your answers should equal 100%. If your FIB question has multiple blank fields and each blank field has several possible answers, we recommend the combined weight of each blank field's most correct answer equals 100%.
Select an Evaluation field for each possible answer:
- Case InsensitiveAuto-grading searches for a matching character pattern in the answer text with or without letter case correctness.
- Case SensitiveAuto-grading searches for a matching character pattern in the answer text that must have letter case correctness.
- Regular ExpressionAuto-grading uses meta-characters to search for one or more matching strings in the answer text's character pattern. What you set as meta-character parameters helps determine letter case sensitivity. See Understanding regular expressions for more information.
- Click Check Answers to validate answer fields with regular expressions.
- You can click the Remove Blank and Remove Text icons to delete blank and text field entries.
- Provide comments and suggestions in the Question Hint and Question Feedback fields.
- Click Preview to view your question.
- Click Save to return to the main page, click Save and Copy to save and create another FIB question that retains the copied properties, or click Save and New to continue creating new FIB questions.