Use categories to organize and manage related groups. For example, you can have a category for Assignment 1, Assignment 2, Seminars, Remedial Help, and Book Reviews.
If you want to create a new set of groups, you need to set up a category and create restricted work areas for the groups first.
Create a group category
- On the Manage Groups page, click New Category.
- Enter a Category Name and Description.
- Select an Enrollment Type from the drop-down list. See Group enrollment types for more information.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, enter the Number of Groups to create, the Number of Users per group, or both.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, select Auto-enroll new users to automatically enroll users to groups.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, select Randomize users in groups to randomly place users in groups. If you do not choose this option, users are placed alphabetically based on the classlist.
- Select Set up discussion areas if you want to associate discussion areas with the groups in the category.
- Select Set up lockers if you want to associate locker areas with the groups in the category.
- Select Set up dropbox folders if you want to associate assignments with the groups in the category.
- Click Save.
Workspace Summary page
The Workspace summary page lists how many groups, discussion forums, lockers, and dropbox folders were created for the category.