There are two methods of associating a quiz with learning objectives:
- You can associate a whole quiz with learning objectives.
- You can also associate just a group of questions with learning objectives.
Use the Objectives tab to associate a quiz with a learning objective. By associating a quiz with a learning objective, you can tie the assignment to a competency you want your users to master. This association can be a basic association or an association with a rubric-based assessment.
See Competencies' Creating activities for information on the levels of association.
Associate a quiz with learning objectives
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click on the quiz you want to associate with learning objectives.
- In the Objectives tab, click Associate Learning Objectives.
- Browse or Search for the learning objectives you want to associate with the quiz.
- Select the check boxes beside the learning objectives you want and click Add Selected.
Add a rubric assessment to a learning objective associated with a quiz
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click on the quiz that contains the learning objective you want to associate with an assessment.
- In the Objectives tab, click Add Assessment from the context menu of the learning objective you want to evaluate.
- Click Select Rubric, or click Create Rubric in New Window.
- Select a rubric from the list of rubrics, or Search for a specific one, then click Save.
- Select a Criteria from the drop-down list.
- If you want to make the activity required, select The activity is required to complete learning objective, then select a level for the rubric from the Threshold drop-down list.
- Click Save.
Edit assessments and learning objectives associated with quizzes
If you have permissions to edit a quiz's associated learning objectives and assessments, click Edit Learning Objective or Edit Assessment from the context menu of the learning objective or assessment you want to modify.
In cases where only a subset of quiz questions are relevant to a learning objective, you can align specific groups of quiz questions to learning objectives from the quiz’s Objectives tab. The questions must be together in a section. If you need to, see Creating quiz sections.
In addition, you can use a new learning objective assessment method for quizzes called “Score on selected questions”. It’s the numeric score of all questions in the quiz aligned to the learning objective.
Associate specific questions with learning objectives
- For a quiz, click its name to edit it, then click the Objectives tab.
- For the associated learning objective, click Edit Associated Questions.
- In the Select Questions and Sections to associate with the learning objective table, select the questions you want.
- Click Associate questions.
Assessing objective achievement when you allow multiple quiz attempts
When you allow multiple quiz attempts and you associate a selection of quizzes to a learning objective, whether the user achieves the learning objective depends on what you set using Overall Grade Calculation in the Attempts section of the Assessment tab.
Although the quiz uses these criteria as the basis for choosing the quiz score, the objective-based assessment uses this method to also calculate the scope on the questions you selected to assess performance for an objective.
Highest Attempt is not based on the highest score of the quiz attempts, but on the highest score achieved for the set of questions associated with the learning objective over all attempts for that user. This might be on a different attempt than the one used to determine the highest quiz score.
Lowest Attempt is not based on the lowest score of the quiz attempts, but on the lowest score achieved for the set of questions associated with the learning objective over all attempts for that user. This might be on a different attempt than the one used to determine the lowest quiz score.
First Attempt is based on the score for the selection of questions associated with the learning objective on users' first attempt. The score of the quiz is also be based on users' first attempt.
Last Attempt is based on the score for the selection of questions associated with the learning objective on users' last attempt. The score of the quiz is also be based on users' last attempt.
Average of all attempts
Average of all attempts is based on the average of the scores for those selected questions for all the attempts made.