Work Study Service Team
The Office for Community Involvement aims to engage students in meaningful service that fits wells with the student’s expertise, interests, and future career goals. We work closely with agencies to identify critical community needs and help provide solutions. For the 2012-2013, Montana Campus Compact, in partnership with the Office for Public Instruction has identified Post-Secondary Readiness and College Access as a need in Montana, and so we have worked closely with non-profits in Billings to help meet these initiatives through a network of agencies each servicing youth.
The Service Team is a community of five work-study positions that work within this unique network of agencies throughout Billings. The Service Team stands out among traditional work-study positions by personally and professionally connecting each team member with Non-profit agencies as well as the other members of the Service Team. Service Team members serve in leadership roles with the intention of fostering a deeper sense of civic responsibility while recognizing the focus of Post-Secondary Readiness and College Access.
Service Team members have a great advantage in working with youth because they are able to provide near-peer mentorship and guidance to struggling students. As a college student maintaining good grades, holding a job, and making positive social decisions, team members are in an influential position, and will be looked upon as a leader and role model to the youth in the community.
Service Team Requirements
As a Service Team member, you will:
- complete your work-study award over two semesters
- remain committed to the agency until Spring semester has concluded
- attend monthly team meetings
- participate in monthly 1-on-1 with Program Coordinator (this is an opportunity to gain additional support and guidance in your work in the community)
- participate in two Service Saturday activities/semester
- Assist in recruiting and connecting college students to meaningful service opportunities in the community
- Complete a monthly reflection log
- Attend agency trainings and comply with agency policies
For more information or for an application to apply for the Service Team, please contact Meg O’Neill in the Office for Community Involvement at 896-5828 or at email@example.com.