Industry Programs

Energy TechnicianEnergy Tech Student

Certificate of Applied Science (CAS)

Our Sustainable Energy Technician (AAS) and Energy Technician (CAS) programs are temporarily not accepting students. Please contact Jacket Student Central for further details and information at 406-247-3007.


The electrical trade is among the fastest growing in the region, but landing an apprenticeship can be a challenging prospect.  City College can help by providing the  entry-level skills needed to gain enrollment as an apprentice electrician in the residential wireman track.  Take advantage of our small class sizes and receive one-on-one attention from our knowledgeable faculty, who have first-hand experience in the electric industry.  The program also provides a basic overview of renewable energy with the option to continue on to our Sustainable Energy Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree.  The hands-on training you receive at City College will provide you the skills and confidence needed to launch your electrical career.







"" Career Opportunities


As a graduate of our Energy Technician program, you will find employment in a variety of settings, such as:

  • Apprentice Electrician
  • Electrician Helper



""Admission Requirements



  • First-time college students must have high school diplomas from an accredited high school, a GED/HiSET, or passed the MSUB Readiness Exam offered through our university.
  • Transfer students will need to submit records from all regionally accredited institutions.

"" Certification/Accreditation


Montana State University Billings is accredited by the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).  



"" Pathways




 A student may exit this program after completing just one semester (4 months) with a Certificate of Technical Studies (CTS) in Energy Technician.  This will prepare you to enter the workforce as an electrician helper.  To further develop your skills and increase your chances of finding an apprentice electrician position, City College offers a two-semester Certificate of Applied Science (CAS) degree in Energy Technician. 


ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE (AAS) Sustainable Energy Technician

A student may exit this program after completing two semesters and receive a Certificate of Applied Science (CAS) in Energy Technician. If you are looking to further develop your skills and increase your familiarity with solar and wind power, City College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) Sustainable Energy Technician.  Click here to learn more about the AAS in Sustainable Energy Technology.


ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE (AAS) Sustainable Energy Technician » »

Students who earn an AAS degree and want to further their education and thus, career, are able to go on for a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree through MSU Billings. Students can focus on various thematic concentrations to earn the BAS degree.  Contact the MSU Billings Advising Center at 406-657-2240 for further details.


""Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Q: What are some of the skills covered in the program?
A:  Upon program completion, Students will:       

    • Install or upgrade wiring systems according to state national electric codes.
    • Repair electrical equipment.
    • Trace out short circuits in wiring using test meter.
    • Learn to read and interpret blueprints.
    • Install and connect wires to curcuit breakers, outlets and transformers.
    • Use tools such as conduit benders, screwdrivers, pliers, knives, hacksaws and wire strippers.
    • Install new lighting and ceiling fans.
    • Study motors, transformers, generators and electonic contollers.

Q: Am I an Electrician when I graduate?
A:  Not yet.  The state of Montana requires that all electricians go through a state or union sponsored apprenticeship program.  The Energy Technician (CAS) program at City College provides you with the necessary skills to land one of those positions.  It can also shorten the amount of time necessary to progress from Apprentice to Journeyman Electrician. Click here for more information on the registered apprenticeships offered through the state of Montana.


Q: Do I have to purchase my own tools?
A: It is highly recommended that you purchase your own tools for the Energy Technician (CAS) program. There are many tools that you will need to own and continue to use when you begin a career in the field, so purchasing a good set of tools as a student is a long-term investment in your career.  Please visit the Tool Room Website for more information on tool requirements.


Q: When can I start the program?
A:  The core Energy classes begin in the fall semester of each year.  However, for a student looking to get a head start on the program, the general education courses and a limited number of energy courses are available in the spring and summer.


"" Student Stories

""Gainful Employment Information