General Education Requirements, cont'd
General Education Assessment Objectives
I. Global Academic Skills
- Demonstrate ability to solve problems quantitatively.
- Solve problems with various mathematical methods of the discipline.
- Communicate using mathematical terminology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and competence in the use of conventional written forms: mechanics, spelling, punctuation, syntax, grammar, etc.
- Demonstrate ability to apply knowledge of writing strategies.
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake and accomplish original work in written form.
C. Communication & Information Literacy
- Engage in hands-on research as a process of gathering, assessing, interpreting, and using data from multiple sources to express ideas.
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose in oral or written form.
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information, and access and use information ethically and legally.
II. Natural Sciences
A. Life Science
- Demonstrate an understanding of knowledge related to the life sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize knowledge from different subject areas concerning the life sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to use logical or quantitative approaches to solve problems related to the life sciences.
B. Physical Science
- Demonstrate an understanding of knowledge related to the physical sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize knowledge from different subject areas concerning the physical sciences.
- Demonstrate the ability to use logical or quantitative approaches to solve problems related to the physical sciences.
III. Social Sciences and History
A. Social Sciences
- Analyze human behavior, ideas, and social institutions for historical and cultural meaning and significance.
- Gather information, analyze data, and draw conclusions from multiple hypotheses to understand human behavior.
- Synthesize ideas and information with regard to historical causes, the course of events, and their consequences, separated by time and place.
- Demonstrate an ability to use analysis of a variety of types of sources to construct historical knowledge.
- Demonstrate an ability to organize a variety of historical sources and express them effectively in written form.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of the historical context of events.
IV. Cultural Diversity
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and solve problems relating to cultural diversity within the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and analyze effectively concerning cultural diversity within the discipline
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the importance of awareness of cultural diversity within the various disciplines.
V. Arts and Humanities
A. Fine Arts
- Demonstrate cultural awareness through fine arts at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the power of imagination and expression.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for the fine arts and what that appreciation can mean as a quality of life issue.
- Develop an awareness of the role that the humanities play in culture, i.e., politics, philosophy, economics, science, math, etc.
- Create an awareness of how to cross-relate/reference humanities-based information.
- Demonstrate an awareness of issues surrounding life, death, and morality.