2011-2013 Undergraduate Catalog

Academic Regulations

Classification of Students

Students at Montana State University Billings are classified as full time students when enrolled in a minimum of 15 credits each semester.  (Note:  Financial Aid considers full time enrollment as 12 credits).  Thus, the following undergraduate student categories are designated based on credits completed:

Freshman — 0-29 credits
Sophomores — 30-59 credits
Juniors — 60-89 credits
Senior — 90 or more credits

Please note that students must complete an average of 15 credits each semester/30 credits each academic year in order to complete the required 120 credits to graduate in eight semesters.

Flat Spot

As students are expected to complete 120 credits over an eight-semester period of time to graduate in four years, a minimum of 15 or more credits must be taken each semester.  To encourage students to take a full load of 15 or more credits, a “Flat Spot” in the tuition has been created allowing students to register for 12 or more credits for the same tuition as 12 credits.  Thus, whether one registers for 12, 15 or 18 credits, the same tuition applies.  It is clearly to students’ advantage to register for 15 credits or more a semester.

Graduate Student Classification

Please consult the Graduate Catalog for information regarding the classification of graduate students and credit load.

Credit Overload

Any student not on probation may register for up to 18 credits per term.  However, individual students who have a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) may register for up to 20 credits per semester without consent being required.  Students who wish to register for a credit load in excess of 18 hours, but who have less than a 3.00 GPA must have approval of the chairperson of the department in which they are majoring.  Students who have a 3.00 GPA and wish to register for a credit load in excess of 20 credits per semester must have the approval of the chairperson of the department in which they are majoring, complete a Request for Overload form, and return the form to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Change of Major

A student who transfers from one major to another must have the approval of the chairperson of the department or division in which the new curriculum is outlined.  A student who considers such a change is warned that the requirements of the new curriculum may make necessary the completion of additional credits if the student is to fulfill requirements for graduation.  Students need to visit the Advising Center (McMullen Hall first floor west/ City College at MSU Billings Jacket Student Central) to obtain assistance with a change of major.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are scheduled during the last week of each semester.  A final examination schedule is available at the Office of Admissions and Records and on the web at www.msubillings.edu.

NEXT: Accelerated Coursework

Facebook icon
Flikr icon
Instagram icon
Twitter icon
YouTube icon
MSUB mobile app icon
A-Z Index: A | B |C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
1500 University Drive | Billings, MT 59101 | 406.657.2011 | 800.565.6782 | © 2010 Montana State University Billings | webmaster@msubillings.edu