2011-2013 Undergraduate Catalog

Special Admission Procedures

In an effort to meet individual needs, MSU Billings has established special admission procedures for undergraduate students which pertain to non-high school graduates, home-schooled students, high school students, and non-degree applicants.

NOTE:  Students making application to attend Montana State University Billings should be aware that Admission Requirements may change at any time.  Please contact the Office of Admissions and Records (406) 657-2158; or write to the Office of Admissions and Records, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298.

Students in these categories would also complete the process of application outlined in the “All New Students:  How to Apply” section as it is appropriate to their circumstances.  However, the following information also applies:

Non-High School Graduates

Non-high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of the General Education Development (GED) test, High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) or MSUB Readiness Test.  (Federal Financial Aid regulations apply).  Various boards establish minimum scores for these tests or groups and students can visit with the Advising Center (406-657-2240/406-247-3019) for current minimums.

Students in this age group who wish to enroll part-time may do so without restriction.

Scores from the ACT or SAT are still required of this group of students who enter the University less than three years from the date of their high school class would have graduated.  There are no minimum scores attached to this test, but a national test score from either the ACT or SAT is required.  Students may access these tests on the regularly scheduled national test dates, or the ACT Residual Test is available to students through the Testing Center at City College at MSU Billings (call 406-247-3025 for upcoming test dates and times).

Students who enter college three or more years after the date they would have graduated from high school are exempt from this conditional status and from the Admission/University Preparatory Requirements and writing/math proficiency standards.

High School Students – University Connections

Approved high school students may take college courses while enrolled in high school.  The signature of the high school counselor or principal certifies that student can do University level work and must accompany the application.  Financial aid is not available to students in this category.  Tuition for courses taken by high school students under this program is established by the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education and subject to change.  It is currently approximately $50/credit.

Non-Degree Applicants

An applicant who wishes to pursue studies for personal growth and who does not wish to work toward a formal degree at Montana State University Billings may apply as an undergraduate non-degree student.  Acceptance into this category does not constitute acceptance into a degree-granting program.  All applicants should have sufficient educational background to qualify for the course or courses in which enrollment is sought and must certify on the application form that they have graduated from high school, have appropriate GED or HiSET scores or appropriate MSU Billings Readiness test scores in reading, writing, and mathematics.  A maximum of 32 semester hour credits earned as a non-degree student may be applied to an undergraduate degree at Montana State University Billings if the applicant applies and is accepted into a degree program.  Financial aid is not available to students in this category, nor may they qualify for the WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) program.

This category is not open to students currently on academic suspension from Montana State University Billings or on academic suspension from any other college or university.

No academic credentials or transcripts are required in support of the application; however, non-degree students who later wish to change to a degree program must furnish required supporting credentials and must meet all the regular admission requirements.  Financial aid is not available to students in this category.

International Students

International applicants must meet the out-of-state admission requirements in addition to the following:

  1. Certified copies of all certificates, degrees and diplomas with a certified translation of the records.
    If you have any post-secondary level course(s) completed outside of the U.S. or in non-English-speaking Canada to transfer to Montana State University Billings, we need a course-by-course evaluation completed by one of the three services highlighted below:

  2. Completed MSU Billings Financial Statement and must present evidence of sufficient funds to cover the estimated cost of tuition and fees as well as living expenses for one academic year at MSUB from a reliable financial institution, bank, or U.S. citizen who will accept responsibility for the student’s financial obligations.

  3. Students from non-English speaking countries must provide evidence of proficiency in English.  Students can do this several ways:

    1. Students may take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have official results sent with their applications to the Office of International Studies.  TOEFL information can be accessed on the web at www.toefl.org or by calling 609-921-9000.  The Montana State University Billings Institutional Code for the TOEFL and the GRE is 4298.  Students scoring higher than 515 on the paper-based (pBT) TOEFL, higher than 68 on internet-based (iBT) TOEFL, or higher than a 5.5 on IELTS are assured undergraduate admission if all other requirements are met; those scoring less will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Prospective graduate students need a 565 (pBT) paper-based TOEFL score, a 84 internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score, or a 6.5 IELTS score.  American Cultural Exchange students who have finished level 6 will be admitted to our undergraduate programs without TOEFL.  Graduate students who have finished level 7 will be admitted to our graduate programs without TOEFL.  Students need to submit a copy of their A.C.E. program certificate and transcripts with their applications for admission to the Office of International Studies.
    2. Students with Full Admissions to an academic program is contingent upon successful completion of the IELP offered at MSUB.  For more information, please visit the website.
    3. In addition, a score of 33 on the American Writing Compass is required.

  4. Appropriate immunization records.  These records must be submitted with an English translation.

  5. Proof of health insurance is required each semester.  Student health insurance is available for purchase.  Health insurance charges will be automatically assessed to the student account if proof of personal health insurance is not provided.

  6. If a student is currently attending another U.S. school and wishes to have his/her I-20 transferred to MSUB, an I-20 Transfer Form must be completed by the student as well as the current international academic advisor.

When to Apply

Application Deadlines:

Fall Semester:  June 1
Spring Semester:  October 1
Summer Semester:  February 1

Deferral Deadlines:

Fall Semester:  July 15
Spring Semester:  November 15
Summer Semester:  March 15

For more information on international student admission call the International Studies Office at (406) 657-1705 or email: internationaladmissions@msubillings.edu

International Students Enrollment and Academic Progress

International students must maintain academic status according to US immigration law and MSUB policies.

  1. To maintain an F1 visa, a student must make normal academic progress as well as abide by state and federal laws.  Normal academic progress is defined as enrolling in and passing a minimum of 12 credits and achieving a minimum semester GPA of 2.0.

  2. An Incomplete or Withdraw will not count towards credits passed within a semester.

  3. It is the student’s responsibility to manage his/her enrollment and abide by the rules of his/her visa.  This includes updating personal information records via the myInfo, completing the MSUB Immigration Registration Form each semester, registering for classes in a timely manner, and adhering to all deadlines on the Academic Calendar (in particular late registration, withdrawal from classes, payment of fees, and monitoring academic standing).

  4. Students who are deemed “out of status” for the second semester or for failure to attend class will have their I-20 form terminated immediately and must either request reinstatement with a different university or leave the United States.  There is no grace period.

  5. Being dropped for non-payment of tuition and fees is a violation of student visa status and may result in cancellation of a student’s I-20.

Agreements with International Institutions

MSU Billings has signed formal agreements for International Study Abroad.  Please see the Office of International Studies for additional information on Study Abroad.

NEXT: Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Facebook icon
Flikr icon
Instagram icon
Twitter icon
YouTube icon
MSUB mobile app icon
A-Z Index: A | B |C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
1500 University Drive | Billings, MT 59101 | 406.657.2011 | 800.565.6782 | © 2010 Montana State University Billings | webmaster@msubillings.edu