Academic Affairs (cont'd)
Certificate or Associate of Applied Science Degree
The College of Technology offers certificates in a number of trades, for practical nurses, and in areas of office and accounting technology. In addition it offers associate of applied science degrees in many of these same areas. Please see the College of Technology catalog for details about these programs and for additional information about the College of Technology.
Associate of Arts or Science Degree Requirements
In addition to the AAS degree awarded through the College of Technology, MSU Billings awards the associate of arts and science degrees.
There are two types of associate degrees: those with no particular disciplinary affiliation and those with a special focus. The requirements for programs with a special focus are listed in this General Bulletin in the Associate of Arts Degrees and Associate of Science Degrees, page 81, among the baccalaureate degree programs and include programs of study in business, education, psychology, allied health, fire science, environmental science, and rehabilitation and related services.
These degrees require that a student meet General Education requirements as specified next. Students being awarded a general associates degrees with no disciplinary affiliation should work with their advisor in planning courses, but are subject to no additional requirements other than those listed next:
- A minimum of 60 semester credits must be earned with a minimum grade point average of 2.00 for all coursework.
- A minimum of 20 semester credits with 40 grade points (2.00 grade point average) must be earned at Montana State University Billings.
- Minimum grade point average of 2.00 must be earned in (a) all college work to be applied toward the degree for which credits and grades have been received, and in (b) all courses completed with credits and grades at Montana State University Billings and applied toward the degree.
- The candidate may elect a maximum of 16 semester credits on the Pass/No Pass option in lieu of regular course grades.
- Associate degree students must satisfy the following General Education requirements:
|General Education Category||Credits|
|I. Global Academic Skills|
|C. Communication & Information Literacy||3|
|II. Natural Sciences (7 credits total)|
|A. Life Sciences||3-4|
|B. Physical Sciences||3-4|
|III. Social Sciences||6|
|IV. History & Cultural Diversity|
|B. Cultural Diversity||3|
|V. Arts & Humanities|
|A. Fine Arts||3|
|Selected in consultation with advisor||23|
|Total minimum credits required||60|