Outdoor Adventure Leadership Bachelor of Science
The Outdoor Adventure Leadership degree is designed to prepare students for careers in a wide variety of leadership settings with hands-on learning activities. The program develops student’s skills in group dynamics, leadership principles, educational philosophy, as well as teaching and communication. This degree combines the study of educational and leadership theory and practice with technical outdoor travel and adventure. Students will acquire and enhance environmental skills and knowledge related to a variety of populations including senior citizens and youth at risk; and explore issues ranging from ethical controversies and risk management to program design.
Specialized skills acquired with Outdoor Adventure Leadership include sequencing, facilitation, and processing of activities, with specific attention to transferring the learning from activity-based experiences to the “real lives” of participants. In addition, the ability to safely engage in and provide outdoor activities and effectively teach skills in outdoor and indoor settings are central to the degree.
An Outdoor Adventure Leadership degree will allow the student to teach outdoor skills to others, safely oversee outdoor programs, and design programs for corporate and community organizations while preparing students for Professions with agencies that have a natural resource base foundation and public and private entities for utilizing the outdoors.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop, implement, and evaluate adventure experiences in areas encompassed in the program.
- Demonstrate effective leadership in the skill areas encompassed in the program, consistent with professional standards, including risk management.
- Professionally communicate knowledge and demonstrate skill of adventure activities and programming.
- Demonstrate proficiency in facilitating and evaluating participant performance in outdoor adventure activities.
Connect with us!
Outdoor Adventure Leadership Program
Video courtesy of Root Sports
Our team of OAL students led by senior JD Sacklin hosted alumni families on the MSUB rock wall for Alumni Family night.
- Adventure Business Companies
- Community Centers
- Municipal Park and Recreation Departments
- Travel Agencies
- Ski Resorts
- City, State and National Parks
- U.S. Forest Service
- Military Programs
- Recreation Guide
- Outfitter Organizations
- Camp Management
- Specialty Outdoor Training Schools
- Youth Risk Programs
- Student Recreation in Higher Education
- Hotel and Resort Recreation Management
- National Outdoor Leadership School
- Land Management Agencies