Standard 9 -- Institutional Integrity
MSU Billings indicates integrity as first among its Core Values.
MSU Billings’ actions are ethical & principled to assure dignity & equity for all.
MSU Billings provides distinctive programs & challenging educational experiences for a diverse University community.
MSU Billings provides academic support & administrative services to foster academic & professional achievement of the University community.
Community of Learners
MSU Billings respects & nurtures variety in intellectual contribution & scholarship enriching both the University & its extended community.
MSU Billings supports all members of the University community in their individual growth toward confidence, individual sense of purpose & acceptance of civic responsibilities.
MSU Billings meets the changing needs of our learners with informed action & innovation based on current standards of educational & technical excellence. Without integrity, nothing that the institution does or plans to do has meaning.
Summary & Analysis
- The MSU Billings community prides itself on its integrity. The University holds high expectations of each of its constituencies — students, faculty, staff and administration.
- MSU Billings complies with Montana Board of Regents policies regarding academic freedom, conflict of interest, and intellectual property rights.
- MSU Billings has policies to hold employees to high standards through the various employee contracts — CBA, VTEM and staff.
- The MSU Billings Student Handbook informs students of their responsibilities regarding appropriate behavior and academic honesty.
- MSU Billings has reviewed/revised its Core Purpose, Mission, Core Values, Vision and Strategic Initiatives. Each division of the University Community has aligned its Master Plan with that of the University and annually reviews both alignment and progress on goals to determine continuing direction for the future.
- Originally established to provide teacher education, MSU Billings is now a comprehensive university. The University must continue dialogue internally and externally to determine how it can maintain its strong foundational programs while changing to meet current educational demands of the state and region.
- In the area of academic freedom, MSU Billings needs to address how it will respond to increasing demands regarding curricular limitations proposed by outside entities.
- MSU Billings must be vigilant to ensure programs maintain high levels of integrity and quality regardless of the method of delivery.
Standard 9 Breakdown
Institutional Policies & Procedures
Conflict of Interest Policies
“Academic freedom — the balancing act between personal objective portrayal of facts in any area of study — remains the hallmark of institutional excellence, as well as academic integrity.”