Advising Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Standards - Appeals and Petitions for Exceptions to University Regulations

Appeal by a Student on Academic Matters

The student should confer with the faculty member against whom the alleged problem exists. The student must confer with the department chairperson or, in the event the problem involves a department chairperson, with the appropriate dean before resorting to the formal grievance process. The student should consult the Student Resolution Officer for proper procedures.

Petition for Exception to University Regulations

Certain problems encountered by a student may result in a request to have an exception considered to an academic standard or to an academic regulation of the University. A student may request an exception to a MSU Billings regulation by filing a special petition with the Academic Standards and Scholastic Standing Committee. The petition form may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records and it is to be returned there after the student has completed the form. The Office of Admissions and Records will present the petition to the committee. The student is encouraged to appear before the committee to respond to questions about the student's petition. The student will be notified in writing of the decision as soon as it is determined.

 "" Return to FAQ page

Facebook icon
Flikr icon
Twitter icon
YouTube icon
A-Z Index: A | B |C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
1500 University Drive | Billings, MT 59101 | 406.657.2011 | 800.565.6782 | © 2010 Montana State University Billings |