Montana State University Billings is committed to the success of its students. To ensure that every student takes full advantage of the educational opportunities offered, MSUB maintains an Academic Alert System. The goal of the Academic Alert System is to improve students’ persistence and academic success. The system allows faculty and staff to be proactive, supportive, and collaborative in facilitating the academic components of student retention.
Submit alerts early in the semester. Earlier alerts allow more time for students to take the necessary steps for a successful outcome.
Consider adding the following statement to your course syllabi:
Early Alert System: In this course your knowledge will be assessed early and often. I believe it is my responsibility as a faculty member to make you aware of your academic standing in my course. I also believe it is the responsibility of this institution to meet your unique academic needs. It is with this in mind that I use our institution’s Academic Early Alert System. If I feel you are in danger of not being successful in this course, I reserve the right to place an Academic Alert on your behalf. This is not a punishment. It does not go onto any transcript-type record. The academic alert is merely a tool that allows me to work closely with the advising center and other student services groups to help you overcome your academic or life hurdles which will hopefully lead to future success.
Academic Alert System Process
- Faculty/Staff submits an Academic Alert for a student through the online Academic Alert submission form.
- Academic Alerts can be in one of four predefined categories:
- Lack of Essential Skills
- Other: Open-ended alert defined by the submitter
- An email notification is sent to the student and to the Advising Academic Alert Response Team at either University Campus or City College.
- The email notification sent to the student is pre-populated within the Academic Alert System and is completely editable by the submitting faculty/staff member before it is sent.
- Within 48 hours of receiving an alert, a member of the Advising Academic Alert Response Team will reach out to the student and subsequently refer them to the appropriate resources available at MSUB.
- The responding member of the Advising Academic Alert Response Team will record the steps taken to assist the student through the online Academic Alert Resolution form.
- Upon resolution, email notification is sent to the faculty/staff member who generated the alert. Notifying them of the resolution and actions taken to assist the student.