Financial Aid & Scholarships

Student Loan Exit Counseling

Federal regulations and MSU Billings Financial Aid policies dictate that borrowers under the Federal Student Loan program must complete exit counseling upon graduation or when dropping below half-time enrollment. This requirement is in place to ensure that you receive essential information regarding your specific loans, balances, and repayment options. Exit counseling answers important questions such as, when and where to make payments, what to do if you are unable to make payments, and what happens if you are in default.


You need exit counseling if you have a:

  • Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized)
  • Federal or Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate or Professional Students
  • Federal Supplemental Loan for Students
  • Perkins Loan
  • TEACH Grant

You do not need exit counseling if you have a:

  • Federal or Direct PLUS Loan for Parents
  • Private and/or Alternative loans (although some lenders may still require exit counseling)

»» Tips on how to complete Exit Counseling


Click here to get started!